If you know me personally, or happen to be a fan of the blog, you would know that I’ve had my fair share of different hairstyles. From blackest black to ombre and even an auburn red, I have never been afraid in the past to go for a hair change – whether it be a small change or something completely drastic.
As a blogger, I have had the opportunity to work with a few salon brands and have had my share of different stylists and colourists, but since getting introduced to Sassoon Salon in the heart of Yorkville in Toronto, I have been hooked. Their beautiful new location, welcoming family and talented hair designers, make it impossible for me not to continue coming back. Luckily, I’ve partnered up with Sassoon this year to share my hair experiences, tips, tricks and everything in between so I can help you fall in love with your hair all over again (like I have)!
Just last week I visited the salon for a small but dramatic change. Since being ombre last year, my brunette that I had done months ago was beginning to fade and really, I was just looking to amp up the sexy and get a sassy new chop and colour. I went into the salon with a few photos for inspiration and the trust for John, the lead colourist at Sassoon who is both charming and incredibly talented with colour.
I mentioned that I wanted something really deep and sultry but not harsh and the man did good! The shine from the colour and treatment was exactly what I needed and the colour really made my features stand out. Next up was a trim with the eclectic and stylish Paolo who’s Nike hat and long beard made me feel like he knew exactly what he was doing. Even though I have been trying to grow out my hair for the last while, I knew that I was in desperate need of a cut because of the constant blonde dyes from last year and never giving my hair a break.
He gave me a sweet chop, keeping my layers for more body on top and finishing it off with a relaxing blow dry that really brought out the shine in my new colour. I’m sure you can relate when I say I strutted out of the salon that day!
Like I’ve mentioned many times on the blog so far this year, I want this year to be my healthiest and happiest yet, and of course, my hair contributes to my happiness because I really like to have fun with my locks from the styling, to treatments and now, the colour!
I want you to start loving your hair too so I urge you to check out Sassoon Salons to see one of their amazing hair colourists and stylists, but for now, they’ve put together a great list of 10 ultimate tips and tricks, plus their favorite products to help you refresh your look and achieve effortless, gorgeous hair for 2016!
- Try a Radiant Refresh – Ring in 2016 with a new signature style by simply adding a side-swept fringe to your classic cut or upgrading your colour with a warmer palette. This season’s statement styles call for cool, pared-back hair with effortless shine.
- Fashion an Everlasting Blow-Out – If you’ve spent the time creating a beautiful blow-out yourself or paid someone else to do it, the last thing you want is to wake up the next day and it be gone. Lorraine McAndrew, Creative Director for Sassoon Salon Toronto “prep is paramount and a lightweight mousse will work as a setting lotion, but make sure you comb the product through your hair to achieve an even blow-dry.”
- Shine On – Just like our skin, healthy hair gets its strength and shine from a combination of proteins and vitamins. Customized weekly treatments, such as a Sassoon Instant Fusio Dose Treatment by Kerastase, deliver a host of benefits to dry, parched hair – from boosting the vibrancy of your colour to preventing future damage and instantly smoothing and strengthening each strand.
- Turn Down the Heat– Swap the perfect blow-out and go au natural once a week. Embrace your natural texture by applying a conditioning style cream and air-drying. You will prevent breakage and cuticle damage, while maintaining softness and combating frizz.
- Go Glam After the Gym – Slick hair back using your fingers with a dollop of Gel Forte from Sebastian to hold the hair in place. Apply the product to the roots of your hair leaving out the ends. To achieve an even sleeker look, comb the gel through to tame any strays and let the hair air-dry. For a dryer texturized look, simply apply the product but blow dry the hair back and away from the face. Use bobby pins to secure the style in place and ensure longevity of the look.
- Trim Down – Forward book your salon appointments every 5-6 weeks for regular trims and haircuts. You’ll keep your ends healthy and feel forever fresh.
- 7. Embrace Hair Oil – Many avoid using hair oils for fear they leave hair looking & feeling greasy. The new generation of hair oils is lightweight and nourishing. Embrace hair oils this winter and try Davines OI Oil or Oil Non-Oil.
- Treat Yourself –In between appointments, keep hair shiny and healthy with an at-home deep-conditioning masque treatment personalized for your hair type.
- Try a Cool Rinse – In the same way that central heating affects hair, washing it in hot water can also dry locks out, so opt for a warm temperature instead. “Rinsing your hair in cool water adds extra shine and locks in vital moisture,’ says Wesley Hanlon.
- Warm Up – Blend warmer colour palettes to support and enhance shine this season. “From rich mocha for brunettes, deep ruby for redheads, and soft, light hues for blondes, warmer tones keep you from looking washed out in the winter and give your skin a boost of radiance,” says John Beeson, Colour Director, Sassoon Salon Toronto.